They're Tired of Being Called "Pat"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickachickadoo, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chickachickadoo

chickachickadoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Remember the androgynous character Pat from "Saturday Night Live" that people were always trying to figure out if it was a he or a she? Our chickies are tired of us looking at them like that. They say they want an identity, darn it! So are they Patricks or Patricias?

Any breed guesses are welcome too, of course. These are our first chicks so we're at the beginning of the learning curve.

They are somewhere between 4 and 5 weeks old. We got them 3/21/09 from a TSC so we don't know when they hatched.

Chicks #1 and #2:
    [​IMG]
    [The one on the right is clearly hunched over a little. The roost they are on is new to them, plus the flash disconcerted it. There isn't anything wrong with it.]

Chick #3:
    [​IMG]

Chick #4:
    [​IMG] This one's waddle is already coming in, two flaps that are bright red so we suspect it's a he. It's also meaner than the others. Last night it didn't just bite my hand, it started biting my leg--until it saw my hand with the feed in it, of course. I'm considering naming it Dinner.

Just in case you need to see a little more of its tail:
    Chick #4 again:
    [​IMG]

Chick #5:
    You may not be able to see enough of the one on the right, but I'm hoping the one on the left is a female. It's such a love, for a young chick. So far it doesn't have any dewlap/waddle/neck folds and its comb is a much lighter pink than Meanie's.
    [​IMG]

We actually have 9 chicks but 3 are the white-ish ones and 6 are the reddish-brown ones. We can't really tell the 6 apart except for the one incredibly soft one, so we are just showing the above pics. They shuffled around so much we couldn't keep track of who had already had their picture taken and who hadn't.

So what do you think?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Those are red sexlinks or Golden comets. You have 3 cockerels and and 6 pulets [​IMG] ...I think.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You could call one of them Terry [​IMG]

(I loved the Pat sketches)

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    123 should be pullets. I think 4, 5 and 6 (the one with its back towards us in the last pic) are all roos.

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    androgynous androgynous androgynous androgynous

Me likes that word.

The white one is def a roo. I dont think the others are... but what do I know.

6. FlatcreekFarmGirl

FlatcreekFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Flatcreek
    I also have the red sexlinked breed. I got them from TSC. I did some research on them and it stated that the brownish-golden/white ones are pullets and the all white ones are roos. I have three pullets...they are so sweet.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    KyleD. :

Those are red sexlinks or Golden comets. You have 3 cockerels and and 6 pulets [​IMG] ...I think.

Agreed.​

8. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    #4 and #5 are DEF roo's, their combs are HUGE [​IMG]

9. chickachickadoo

chickachickadoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks for the quick responses. We have been agonizing over this since the day we brought them home. We were hoping we didn't get all cockerels. [​IMG] It's nice to know that we have 6 pullets. Yay!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    4 & 5 are roos.

The top one's I'd name Chris for now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by