They're trying to outlaw poultry here

chickeninfested

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Well, now that I just spent thousands putting in a new coop, and my girls are finally laying, some idiots have decided they want to outlaw poultry here. WHy? They say chickens are a nuisance, Well, maybe they should outlaw yappy little dogs that bark all night and poop on my lawn. Isn't that a nuisance? My girls are in a clean pen and I don't see how anybody could hear their soft clucking. They give my son healthy food and they eat the bugs. But my neighbors cat that sprays everywhere and gets pawprints all over my car is not a nuisance? I have never complained to anyone about their pets, so how can they complain about my quiet, clean, useful animals that never leave my yard? Oh yeah, they're idiots.

Hi hello and
welcome-byc.gif
from MN Make your voice heard make video and go to every meeting and make sure to let EVERYONE know that your chickens are not A nuisance

Call and ask for a copy of the draft ordinance; ask about those that already have legal chickens, and protecting their existing rights. Ask WHY the change is being looked at, and see about addressing whatever nuisance or problem is instigating the change; volunteer to help create a reasonable code that protects people's rights on both sides of the issue.

One thing that you should consider is regulating the nuisances, NOT their causes. Don't propose over-regulatation; just provide sufficient framework that someone who is experiencing a true nuisance has a means of getting it abated, while not infringing on the rights of those who are not causing nuisances.

Im normally an easy going person but when you start messing with my chickens Ill get mean, fast. I definatly know where your coming from! People used to complain about my birds and thatd eat me up guts feathers and all! I live in a neighborhood and I have one hen and one rooster, they were my show pair for 4H, but because i live in a neighborhood I couldnt really fight with anyone about them we had one grumpy old man who complained the most, and he threatned to call animal control because technically im in city limits still. Then I saw him walking around the neighborhood with his little grand-daughter and I got a great idea! I have a handsome silkie roo who everyone just loves so i grabbed him out of the coop and ran down to the street. That little girl saw him and absolutly fell in love! You shouldve seen that old man, thus i have recieved no further complaints on my chikies and him and his grand daughter still come over to play with Merle
smile.png
Everyone has a weakness its just a matter of finding it!
wink.png
and ive found a dozen of well placed fresh eggs dont hurt either!
wink.png
Good luck with this I hope it works out for you!

Merle Haggard
57908_image05202011193309.jpg

Seriously! how could you not love him!?!

Last edited:
Quote:
The problem with grandfather clauses is that they don't protect you forever. In this case, they'd most likely forbid him/her from getting any more chickens while allowing the existing to die out. That means any breeding projects would have to end.. and what happens in 2-3 years when those hens stop laying those healthy eggs for her son and she can't get more because of the ordinance? It angers me so much when people try to ruin things for those who actually care for their animals properly because of heresay that they heard about someone else in some far away place that didn't.

Quote:
The problem with grandfather clauses is that they don't protect you forever. In this case, they'd most likely forbid him/her from getting any more chickens while allowing the existing to die out. That means any breeding projects would have to end.. and what happens in 2-3 years when those hens stop laying those healthy eggs for her son and she can't get more because of the ordinance? It angers me so much when people try to ruin things for those who actually care for their animals properly because of heresay that they heard about someone else in some far away place that didn't.

Not necessarily; every municipality does things differently. It could be that you can continue the use as long as you do not "abandon" it by more than a specified time (6 months, a year, 2 years, whatever); could be that the current property owner could retain the use forever, but upon transfer of title the new property owner will not be allowed the non-conforming use; could be as you stated that the use is restricted to the current level of activity and specific animals. Or any combination or variation of these or something else.

good luck.. stay on top of things and maybe it is time to start complaints about the cat paws on the car. all those little scratches add up.. get grandfathered in and then get a group together to stop this from proceeding.. its too healthy a food ,
for them to stop you from feeding your family.
good luck )O(
Pink

OK, the meeting went pretty well, a good many chicken lovers showed up. One of the councilmen says he doesn't think that they should be regulating what kind of pets people can have on their own property, because,"after all, we're not talking about lions and tigers here." I found out this whole thing started because someone complained about a woman who had ducks on her pond. WHAT? What is she supposed to do, go out and shoot any birds that land on her property? Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed, because the food subject is so important. My son has allergies and is a very picky eater. He will, however eat what we grow, and loves these eggs. I really need this protein for him and I can't understand why someone would take that away. Don't they understand that these clean and healthy birds are much less likely to be unsafe than those factory farm animals? Why do people hate chickens? How come you can have a parrot or other non native bird, but not a chicken? The world is very strange. I guess I can give up my goat dream! Would have loved the milk and cheese, but that's never going to happen. OK I can undserstand that, but they will get one of my chickens when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Back
Top Bottom