they're under her! here we go! (hatches due 6/23)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fun monitor, Jun 3, 2008.

1. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    I got ebay eggs this morning and let them settle all day, just put them under my broody girl right now. I put the best ones under her in the middle and a few "maybes" toward the back. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next! I'm planning on candling Friday or so. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    I hope it's okay if I have a thread to myself for updates. I'd do it on my blog but I don't want my mom to see, LOL! My parents live next door and we rent from them. My dad is cool with all things chicken (in fact, we want to get him a turkey for father's day) but my mom will blow a fuse when she hears we have eggs under our broody.

ANYWAY...

This morning's broody check had her fine and dandy in her dog crate, in her little nest. She'd moved all 12 eggs under her so I can't see them at all. She is VERY satisfied and very relieved to be by herself without all the the others bothering her. The laying girls would try to lay on her when they came to lay their eggs and the pullets just like to explore.

That's all for now [​IMG]

3. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Broodies are awesome! They do all the work for you. [​IMG]

Funny, I was putting eggs under my broody last night too -- at almost the EXACT same time! [​IMG]

4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Good luck to both of you.

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What breed is your broody and what breed is the eggs?
    I just set Barred Rock eggs under my broody last night.
    My hen is a mix breed.
    So we will be on broody watch together. [​IMG]

6. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    YAY! I'm so happy to have broody friends on the same schedule!

My broody is a bantam RIR showgirl. I know RIR's aren't supposed to go broody, but this is one bound and determined girl. I hope she gets at least one or two chicks to raise. I put a bantam barnyard assortment under her.

What kind do you all have setting and hatching?

7. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Mine is an Araucana hen, sitting on Araucana eggs. The eggs aren't her own though, they're from my breeding pen. I put 11 eggs under her, but I'm worried that she won't be able to cover them properly. This morning she seemed to be having a little difficulty keeping them under her. She's on the small side.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  8. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    My ebay eggs are hatching today!! 21 days to the day 3 hatched 4 pipin so far I have 14 eggs all together. Hope the 21 days goes faster for you it almost killed me.[​IMG]

9. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Congratulations Erica!

Well, I'm planning on doing my first candling at day #7 (June 9th). What about you guys?

10. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I candled last night. Two were infertile, the remaining nine look healthy.

Since all the roosters and 1/2 of the hens in the breeding pens are tufted, I will likely experience some embryo mortality later in incubation. If 4 or 5 hatch, I'll be happy.

How are y'all's eggs doing?

Fun monitor, perhaps you could change the title of this post to something along the lines of "Those with broodies due around 6/23." It might make it easier for others to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by