THEY'VE HATCHED, NOW WHAT ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BEGINNINGCHICKIE, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BEGINNINGCHICKIE

BEGINNINGCHICKIE New Egg

Jul 27, 2008
    We are new to this, after the eggs hatch, what do you do with the chicks ? No hen to take care of them, just us. Know what I mean ? Do you need to clean them off or anything like that ?[​IMG]

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Are they in the incubator? If so, just leave them in there for several hours until they dry off, then move them into a brooder, with a heat lamp (needs to be about 100F under the lamp for them). Have chick feed and water in there for them and dip their beak into the water, carefully, to show them where it is. Make sure you put some marbles into the water dish, if its deep, so they can;t accidentally fall in and drown. Are you gonna post some pics? [​IMG]

3. BEGINNINGCHICKIE

BEGINNINGCHICKIE New Egg

Jul 27, 2008
    Right now, the eggs are nestled in a towel, in a aquarium, the aquarium has a heating pad under it and the lamp is over it. The temp is 99 degrees. We Have a little container of water for humidity. Once they hatch, (crossing our fingers) they will have a nice warm brooder waiting for them. I read that a red light bulb for the heat lamp could be purchased to prevent the chicks from pecking each other. Time will tell ! I'm not sure who's more excited, the kids or me. Goats are so sweet ! My parents had nubiens' when they bought the farm, my mother just loved them. Long time ago ! Good luck with them. I will post pics if I can figure out how to load them on the computer. Thanks for the helpful hint !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by