They've stopped laying....any clues????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Missouri chick, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I know that hens are going to slow down on egg production when it's hot. It's been much cooler for a while now and I'm not getting ANY eggs from anyone. [​IMG] I have a friend who is still getting eggs. Anyone have any ideas?

2. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Molt maybe?

3. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I was thinking that on a couple of them, but that wouldn't explain 18 layers, 7 silkies, 5 bantam cochins, and 6 seramas. Well, the seramas have laid a couple. I'm stumped???????

there are 4 different pens, all receiving laying pellets and treats here and there

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    It's been really, really rainy in your neck of the woods these last few days, right?

Maybe they don't like the weather?

*** shrug ***

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Many chickens are getting ready to go into a molt this time of year and on top of that, the days are getting shorter which will throw them off too. You could always try to add a light to their coop to see if that makes a difference or not.

6. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    boy are we ever getting the rain. My problem actually started before all the down pours. Thanks for the thoughts though. I wonder if they aren't adding to the situation???

7. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Quote:thanks, I'll try anything at this point

8. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Is anything getting the eggs? In my case when I got no eggs for a few days I found out that my lab was eating them. He can't get in the pop door but the front door was left open by my son and the dog decided to help himself. He NEVER eats chickens though since they lay his favorite food:).

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm getting two eggs almost every day from two of my hens that insist on laying despite the fact that they are molting.
    One of my girls finished molting and started laying again yesteday. She gave me a huge egg.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  10. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:My Aussies are doin the same thing, however they have me stumped at the moment how their getting to them. We let our Blue cochins free range and they have decided the garage is where they want to lay. I've moved stuff all around their nest so the dogs cant get to it, but if your not out there as soon as they lay to get the eggs the dogs beat ya to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by