Thick, clear nasal discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kellywooh, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Kellywooh

Kellywooh New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Hi everyone. I have been reading some feed backs on here about chickens with nasal discharge. I have a rooster that has been sick for approx 2 months now. He was on sulfatrim for a bit and is now on another antibiotic (I can't remember the name). He developed this thick, semi-clear mucus discharge out of the right nostril only. Left is dry and clean. Everyday in the morning it needs to be wiped away, and usually in the afternoon also. Could it be a sinus infection? He has a hard time with his equilibrium, and is getting very skinny. He seems to not want to each much in the past couple days. Any other ideas? Had bloodwork done, came back with chronic infection, but nothing else. I don't want to lose him after he has been fighting this for 2 mths. Any help would be extremely welcomed.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You are probably dealing with mycoplasma or coryza which are chronic diseases. They may get better, but aren't cured. The also are carriier diseases. Are you using sulfadimethoxine now? That one is good for coryza, andTylan will treat both, but is better for mycoplasma. I would get him tested through your vet just to find out what exactly he has.

3. Kellywooh

Kellywooh New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    I seem to remember the vet saying something about mycoplasma.
    I honestly don't remember the name of the antibiotic rooster is on. Looks and smells like melted marshmallow. I will ask my vet about Tylan, not sure its available here in Canada.So if it is mycoplasma, I'm assuming it can be transferred to my hens, and the rooster will not be able to go out with them again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by