thick or hard shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jjparke, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    My ladies lay really hard eggs. When I crack them I actually have to hit them several times to get them open. So I am thinking it might be the membrane. Does anyone know what I can do to thin the membrane out a little bit? Possibly a feed supplement?

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    you should be excited that your girls have thick shells! it shows they're getting plenty of calcium and nutrients to make them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. masschix

masschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    Our girls have very hard shells too. Thought it was supposed to be a good thing?!?!?! I wouldn't want them to be thinned out....they may brake to easily in the nesting boxes.

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    This is really def a sign of good health and it shows that your birds are not short on calcium, like the eggs we all got used to in the store. Enjoy!

5. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I know what you're saying. Mine are like cracking open a coconut too. But it really is a good thing. You're probably like me and just need to stop comparing them to the store bought eggs.

6. showy21

showy21 New Egg

I gave eggs to a friend of mine and commented on how nice the shells were...hard shells are good!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's just a sign of a really fresh egg. As the egg ages the membrane thins out, making it easier to crack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by