Thickened Wattles / Is there Something Wrong Here?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riseupsunshine, Dec 19, 2014.

1. riseupsunshine

riseupsunshine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    I noticed my hen acting more tired than usual. She is was laying on and off. The only thing I can find is her wattles are thick, full feeling and in between them are too.

I have her on Duramycin 10 and have been giving her vitamins mixed in scrambled eggs. She has perked up and acting normal again so far.

I am still curious about what her wattles are trying to signal.

Thank you![​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Has she exhibited any other symptoms like coughing, wheezing, gasping, runny nose, or bubble eyes?

MrsB

3. riseupsunshine

Dec 29, 2013
    Before I noticed the wattles she had been standing around looking puffy and sleeping a lot. There are no other symptoms that I can tell. There were a couple of spots that seemed to be darkening on the wattles and comb so respiratory was something I was being told to possibly treat, hence the reason she is on Duramycin 10 in her water. She eats good, pooping good. The wattles do feel warm.

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Dark spots on comb, wattles, and face can indicate Fowl Pox.

There is a copious amount of information on that on the site. :) Using the search bar can yield excellent results. You can try typing her symptoms in as well to see if anyone else has posted something similar.

Good luck! :D

MrsB

5. riseupsunshine

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it warm or cold where you live? Could she have been stung by something? Do you see a spot that could be from a sting or a peck? I can only see swelling on her lower left wattle. Could it be early frostbite, from a wattle getting into water in freezing temperatures? There can be several things besides a sting or early frostbite that can cause swollen wattles such as coryza, fowl cholera, and Mareks tumors, but she looks pretty perky (and cute) in her picture to be that sick.

7. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I completely agree! The picture is my favorite part. :) Good call on the sting. I didn't think about that!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by