Thicker is better? Which cooler should I use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I am making my incubator today...I bought a new Styrofoam cooler at walmart it's walls are about 1" thick. I had another one from steaks, but I was hoping it would be bigger. It's not. They are almost identical inside size, but the meat one has 2" thick walls. It's not pristine condition, but not anything which would hurt performance. Which should I use? Does the wall thickness make a big difference on maintaining temp or can i just use the new clean one?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I think you should go with the 2 inch. It just means you will keep more heat inside and require less of your heat source. IMO.

3. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

I would agree on the 2"

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Well I found out my mom might want the thicker cooler back...poo...so I'm doing it with the 1" one from walmart...hope it works still!

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I made my first hatcher out of the Omaha Steak box and it is awesome. The thicker the foam the better it will hole the temperature. I hatched quail in it without a thermostat. I just use a dimmer switch and it really does not need lost of fiddling with. If the temperatures are not steady in the room, of course that is a different story but if you are around often enough to keep a close eye on it works great. Make sure to put you ventilation holes on the top side and the bottom side for good air circulation.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Yeah - I have my Ms Prissy bator made out of a cooler. But I also have a Omaha Steak box, an extra PC fan. Only need to get a couple more items and I am ready to build a second incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by