1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thief proof chicken coops

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickadee Cards, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Chickadee Cards

Chickadee Cards New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    I am going to Vietnam next month to build some chicken coops at an orphanage, to provide a self-sustaining source of protein. The problem is that thieves have stolen chickens in the past.

I am looking for a movable chicken coop that is theft resistant.

Any ideas?

2. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry you have had this trouble in the past. I am not sure what you can do about this. But I wish you luck and getting it all figured out!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

I'm not completely sure how to make a very secure coop that people cannot break in to. You may want to have locks on the doors or open parts. You may get more answers to this questions if you post in the Coops section: Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance

I hope you can find the answers you need!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I also don't know how you would protect a portable chicken tractor. If it was a permanent dwelling, I would suggest an alarm system & cameras. Even electrified fencing if neccesary and allowed..

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

The other posters have given you some good advice already.

Good luck with your coop building!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I would suggest bringing locks and latches with you from here in the US. I'd go to a higher-end bike shop that sells Trek and Cannondale bikes, etc, and will sell locks that are bolt-cutter proof. You can probably find them on Amazon.com, too, just check the reviews. Next step would be finding latches they can thread through, but then someone can always just unscrew the latch, so it'd probably be good to put the lock around the actual gate itself or with a chain. Maybe even use chain link fence in addition to hardware cloth so no one can just cut the hardware cloth and take the hens.

To secure the actual coop, I'd again get a big heavy chain and the bike lock and secure to a permanent fence, cemented ground auger, or building when it's not under a watchful eye.

For a moveable coop, I'd search "chicken tractor plans" on google. There are a lot of options out there. Here's one ConvertiCoop, also called Chicken Arks, but I think they say it fits more hens then it does. You could always make a fleet of them.

Here's some more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/219819/chicken-tractor-plans

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-tractors-mobile-chicken-coop-designs

I hope this helps! Wishing you the best in your travels and with all you're doing for the orphanage.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by