Thier combs and feathers seem faded...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkbuz1987, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have some BO's, RIR's, one real Ameraucana, and 3 EE's. I have noticed that their colors aren't as vibrant as they were in the spring. Their combs and feathers seem faded. Is this "normal" for winter? Do they NEED vitamins to bring out their color?

They are all in good health otherwise. They are still laying (even though it has slowed), eating great, I would say content birds.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The only time mine faded was when the had worms. Have you checked there poop?

3. bkbuz1987

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    No signs of worms. Normal poop. I read here that pumpkin seeds are a good natural dewormer so I let them indulge last Friday as a "just in case" they did have worms treat. Thier poop from the pumpkin seeds was very grainy but no signs of worms [​IMG] Maybe I should give them vitamins too.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine are molting and that depletes the body. If a hen is not laying, as in the molt, her comb will get quite pale, more light pink than red. Also, old feathers about to be shed are dry and brittle.

5. bkbuz1987

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If they haven't molted yet this year, my money is on the molt. Especially if the feathers seem kind of "threadbare", is the best I can describe it, like they've been thru the washer and dryer too many times and are ready for the rag bag [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I've kind of been having this same issue but wasn't sure if it was molting or not. This is my first year with chickens. I haven't seen a lot of feathers lying around but they are getting pretty shaggy looking, lol.

8. joyful-homemaker

joyful-homemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    have you checked for mites?

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Yeah, no mites or other buggies on or in mine.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm giong to have to say that they are just wearing their worn out summer feathers and are about ready to moult. Extra protein wouldn't hurt. I usually switch to a poultry layer supplement with 20% protein for the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by