Thin blood around droppings in 1 1/2 year old bird - Coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scooter&Suzie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I had a panic attack yesterday morning when I went to take care of the chickens. In the run there was a dropping surrounded be a small pool of what looked like thin, or watery, blood. I had been reading an article about a droppings board a couple days ago and there was a dropping on it that looked very much like my chicken's dropping today. She said her bird had coccidiosis. I've been looking it up, and it appears that it is more common in young birds - Mine will be 2 years at the very end of May. I have three chickens in a 3' by 3' coop. Their bedding is still dry and fresh, but their run is very muddy. I dumped a ton of DE on it to help keep things dry. I also am going to be cleaning out the coop and using a ton of DE in both the coop and run... I am going to try to find out who dropped it, but right now my isolation cage is being used. I'll have to figure something out...

I heard that many diseases start in this way, so I wanted to see what you thought it was. I haven't seen any of my chickens neglecting their food and water... They all dashed at the food yesterday morning! I also haven't seen any of them huddling. I'll be keeping a close eye on them for updates, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by