Thin broody hen

maggie&thechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Central NC
I have a hen that has recently gone broody. I have been hoping one of my hens to do this for a couple of years. However, this hen is already much thinner than her buddies for some reason. I was afraid she was ill until it became plain she was broody. She has only been setting steady for a couple of days and I haven't given her any permanent eggs to incubate. I moved her out of the coop into her own space last night and she stayed.

My question is: how do I maintain/improve this hen's condition for the 3 weeks she will need to incubate eggs? Other hens I have had go broody were in good condition when they started.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I personally wouldn't use her if she's too thin as she will lose weight while sitting and won't necessarily show interest in eating more. I would break her for now, she probably will become broody again.

BantammChick

Crowing
May 8, 2017
chicken coop
I have a broody hen that does not come to eat with the other chickens,so I feed her her own handful of chicken feed,I feed my chickens egg pellets,corn and sometimes oats.She does not seem thin and looks fine.Try to feed her the same food you feed the others,and also make sure the others do not steal her food.

Top Bottom