1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thin chicken? What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JJ--, Jun 18, 2016.

1. JJ--

JJ-- Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2015
    Hi.
    Now have four 3 month old chicks that are thin. I raised them indoors and they were fat and healthy at 2 months when I put them in outdoor coop and enclosed run (run is raised above ground with pea gravel as base) We had two straight weeks of cold rain. At 2.5 months noticed coop crawling with red mites but no infestation on Hens. No sign of lice either. So deep cleansed the coop and run and sprayed permithian everywhere! Gave the girls a bath with dawn soap to smother bugs then a rinse with apple cider vinegar water to clean the skin and get a closer look. Did not see an infestation but blow dried the girls to get them warm and happy. (So figured night sucking mites that leave no trace. Girls were thin and looked anemic. Combs pale in comparison to sister hens at neighbor house.) sprayed permithian again two weeks later.

Fed probiotics, spinach, and garlic and eggs to get iron back up. Added DE to sand for bathing and all over coop. Then noticed foamy poop so treated five days with Corid 2 tsp per gallon suspecting cocci due to the moist environment in the run (girls not allowed to graze outside much due to construction in yard).

After Corid treatment, gave some chicken vitamins with iron for two days. I am starting to see some color in their comb, but they still feel thin. Today the youngest one pooped this funky poop. Have I been wrong this whole time? Is this worms?

2. JJ--

Apr 18, 2015
    Forgot the picture
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks runny as though the chicken was drinking a lot of water. Can you take in a few of their fresh droppings to a local vet just to get a fecal test for worms and coccidia? You sound as though you have done the right things. One tip about mites is that the eggs will hatch out every 4-7 days, so treating them every 7 days plus removing the bedding and treating the premises with permethrin may be necessary. Look at them at night with a flashlight for mites.

4. JJ--

Apr 18, 2015
    Thanks! I have sprayed the coop and surroundings twice with permethrin and will spray again for 3rd and probably 4th time to be safe.

last week I was so frustrated with the pea gravel as a base for the run, (someone told me it would be easier to clean ha![​IMG] I had to hose it down every day to keep the girls from pecking at their own poop. Which created this leech pit effect, which is why I thought cocci with the foamy poop.). So I scooped out all the gravel and bleached/water mix sprayed the entire coop down from top to bottom. Then did the second round of permithian treatment. Then put sand mixed with DE down on top of the hardware cloth.

I will try to find a vet to drop the cecal off with.

Do you (or anyone else reading his post) know how long it takes for a thin anemic chicken to bounce back and put on weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by