Thin egg shell/Barred Rock/Australorp

bdowns73

Chirping
Sep 6, 2016
Kevil, KY
I have 6 chickens, 3 red sex links, a production red, barred rock, and an australorp. I have caught the 3 red sex links and production red laying. I think the barred rock is laying too but haven't caught her. We are getting 4 eggs and sometimes a 5th. Anyway we have had an egg with a thin shell that looked like it had a hole pecked in it and it was near the roost and not in the nest. I think it is coming from my australorp. She is very squatty when approached. All the chickens are about 24 weeks. Should I be worried about the australorp not laying and the barred rock only laying sporadically?

Most barred rock and australorps start at about 5-6 months of age. Many hens don't lay daily. Many hens stop and start laying throughout the season. I wouldn't worry about pullets and when they start. Thin shelled eggs are often from not enough calcium. Keep a dish of free choice oyster shells always available in case a hen needs more.

Most barred rock and australorps start at about 5-6 months of age. Many hens don't lay daily. Many hens stop and start laying throughout the season. I wouldn't worry about pullets and when they start. Thin shelled eggs are often from not enough calcium. Keep a dish of free choice oyster shells always available in case a hen needs more.
Thanks for the info! I give them egg layer pellets with oyster in it. Do I need to supply more? I have been reading some other posts and it scares me to think she may be "egg bound" or have an illness. It's funny when I started with these 6, they were just chickens and now they are something else to me! I don't want to lose any of them.

I have never actually had an egg bound hen ever, so I don't believe it's as common as it is mentioned on this site or any other.

Sex link hens lay to the extreme. I actually recommend a higher protein feed than layer because of it. It's possible one of your hens pecked the egg look it for more protein or calcium.

I feed an all flock, a non medicated grower can work too. Protein should be 18-22%. I would always keep oyster shells available. If they become deficient they will start to eat eggs. You shouldn't feed layer to hens that aren't actually laying.

My barred rock started at 5 months and my Australorp at 6 months out of last year's batch. Yours will get going when they are ready. They usually become a bit vocal and pushy before they start.

Thin shelled eggs are not uncommon with new layers, can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Do not mix oyster shell in with the feed, put it in a separate container that's always available if they need it.

Back
Top Bottom