Thin egg shells after enclosure

Tobymartin601

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2021
I have a backyard flock of 9 hens on half an acre of lawn, there's three three year olds and the rest are on their second year. Recently, I had to enclose their roaming space on the lawn to less than half of what they had. I try to let them out to roam the entirety of their former space every day, but it's just not safe for them anymore if I'm not home. Roughly coinciding, many of the hens' eggs have thinner shells, with one of them laying shelless eggs(but I believe she started doing this before the enclosing). I procide oyster strong layer feed, and I'm going to start giving them back the eggshells to eat. Any thoughts on why my hens have thinner shells?

I have a backyard flock of 9 hens on half an acre of lawn, there's three three year olds and the rest are on their second year. Recently, I had to enclose their roaming space on the lawn to less than half of what they had. I try to let them out to roam the entirety of their former space every day, but it's just not safe for them anymore if I'm not home. Roughly coinciding, many of the hens' eggs have thinner shells, with one of them laying shelless eggs(but I believe she started doing this before the enclosing). I procide oyster strong layer feed, and I'm going to start giving them back the eggshells to eat. Any thoughts on why my hens have thinner shells?
Stress can sometimes cause thin shelled eggs. It may be their 'protest' at being more confined. See if it gets better in a week or two. (And maybe put out free choice oyster shell if not already).

If it isn't stress, not sure what it could be.

Always good to have a calcium supplement available,
I use oysters shells mixed with crushed chicken eggs shells in a separate feeder.

But could also be end of season funkiness.....days are shortening drastically so egg production is slowing/stopping, you can get some funky eggs around this time.

Always good to have a calcium supplement available,
I use oysters shells mixed with crushed chicken eggs shells in a separate feeder.

But could also be end of season funkiness.....days are shortening drastically so egg production is slowing/stopping, you can get some funky eggs around this time.
That could be it, thanks!

I supplement my birds feed with oyster shells but I put it in their feed and they take what they want but I have a lot of birds and it works out better for me. Maybe your feed has something to do with it. I do have one bird that consistently lays a thinner egg shell. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom