thin hen. funky poo

flour child

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
finger lakes, NY
my 2 year old RIR has been having almost completely water poo, for almost 3 weeks, her poo just started looking more solid but it looks "seedy" and i dont feed her anything that would cause that. shes also down to 4 lbs 12 oz and is very pale. anyone know what this poo might mean? i dont see anything like it on the poo chart

I would probably worm her with Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer or equine paste. Undigested food in droppings can be a sign of enteritis. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin, Tylan, and chlortetracycline among others can treat that. As always, if a vet is available, you can have her droppings checked for worms and bacteria.

i started them on a wormer called "strike III " a few days ago.. i mixed it with 50 lbs of there food. do these symptoms occur when worms are present? ive tried to research so many possibilities and im just grtting a headache. i feel ive narrowed it down to either an infection or worms, its only my one girl, the other 15 are healthy as can be (knock on wood) anyone know a roundabout estimate to get her poo analyzed by a vet? moneys very tight but i feel like its my only choice at this point.. theres so many different antibiotics ive been recommended and i dont know which to go with

If you have a dog or cat vet, call them and ask if they will do it without seeing her. Cost for just a fecal float and direct smear should be less than $60. If you have to take her in, add $45-$65 for the office visit.

-Kathy

Try looking up clostridium perfringens as well - symtoms are very watery poop, lethargic, undigested food in the droppings, excessive thirst, etc. Just went through this with one of my BR's and after a round of Tylan and about 3 weeks of time she's completely back to normal.

Forgot to add, we also wormed them with safeguard just to rule that out, but I'm 99.9% sure it was the clostridium.

I have seen undigested seed/watery poop in birds with E. Coli infection and in a bird with a yeast infection. Of course I always will de-worm with Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five days just in case (too cheap and lazy to find a close vet to do fecals, bird vet is over an hour away).

-Kathy

so i did some research on clostridium perfringens, but not much came up on the symptoms. mostly that it is common in broiler hens and that it could be caused by moldy food (maybe from my compost pile?) is there a thread on this disease?

so i did some research on clostridium perfringens, but not much came up on the symptoms. mostly that it is common in broiler hens and that it could be caused by moldy food (maybe from my compost pile?) is there a thread on this disease?

Look up enteritis or necrotic enteritis. C. Perfringens is the most common bacteria that causes it, and it is in the soil. Chickens who have had coccidiosis in the past, or those that have eaten certain grain diets may be at risk for it. I can't post links at this time.

Back
Top Bottom