Thin hen, overlaying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abserbean, Jan 20, 2014.

1. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    We have a RSL that will be a year old early February. She has always been smaller than our other hens, but she feels very thin when I pick her up lately, her breast bone is pretty prominent. My question is, could this be over laying? She eats normally, was wormed just over a month ago, acts healthy and happy. I know RSL's are bred for laying, but she is an egg laying machine! She started laying at 18 weeks, and has only taken two days off since then. She lays our largest egg out of all of our hens, has never had an issue with her shell, is laying through the winter, and even layed through her molt. I know it is her pullet year, so is this normal for her? I've tried upping her protein, scramble eggs, mealworns, tuna, etc. Maybe she is just a skinny girl? Is there anything else I can do to help her out? Any advice is appreciated! Maybe I'm just paranoid, but she seems so thin!
    [​IMG]
    This is her most recent photo.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you did notice that she definitely had worms, it is important to retreat to break the life cycle of the worms. Of course people toss eggs after worming, usually (mentioned on BYC) for two weeks since wormers aren't approved for egglaying hens.

If you are still concerned about worms some vets will do a fecal float for worms (just bring the poo) but false negatives are possible.

3. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I wormed with Zimectrin Gold, and seven days later retreated. All eggs were tossed for 14 days post worming. I don't see any obvious signs of worms, besides the thin bird. My other hens are plump. Should I still retreat to break the cycle? I wasn't sure they had worms in the first place, but I saw what looked like worm fragments in two of their poops, not sure which two b/c it was under the roost. My research on the fragments made me think it might have been tapeworms, and I've heard they are very hard to get rid of. The poop currently looks fine, and I didn't see any full sized worms during treatment, so maybe I was just paranoid. I was going to use Safeguard to worm, but two of my girls were in molt and I had read not to use Safeguard during a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by