Thin hens and more can you help me plz????

debs79

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Hi there i am new to the forum and looking for some help plz
I have 7 ex battery hens so not sure how old they are,but i have a few concerns about them ,i have just been to put them to bed coz they daft girls would not go in so i gave them a helping hand and when i came to pick them up they are really thin
i noticed this more coz they were wet and you can feel the bones ,i am getting about 0-5 eggs a day and they look bright eyed and responsive,
when i got them i went to our local farm to see what they needed to be fed they said layers pellets then hubby phone the peeps we got them of and they was still on chick crum even though they was laying they are still on small holders layers pellets and eat all day out of the feeder,

Also most of them are sneezing day and night

can anyone help me plz i would be most greatfull
debs

Couple of questions for you..has the weather in your area changed or been wet lately? How long have you had them? How long have they been getting layer feed vs the chick feed...its kinda hard to understand your message concerning that. They might be running down nutritionally if they have been laying while only getting starter feed. It would be helpful to know how long that was going on for.
It also sounds like they may have a cold? Do you notice any watery eyes or runny nose?? Check their poop to see if it looks normal. I would give them some scrambled egg with vitamins to get em some good nourishment quickly b/c if they are not eating then they will deteriorate quickly. Some people swear by the VetRX, its like a vapor rub. It might be helpful if it is cold and not something more serious. Hope some others chime in!

Also, what kind of bedding are they on?
Have they ever been dewormed?

The definately need layer mash or pellets. Scratch grain/corn is good to add some weight but only in small amounts for a snack. Offer them healthy treats too like lettuce, veggies, peas, yogurt, cottage cheese. Research chicken treats and you will get a long list.

Last edited:
hi thanks for replying i have had the girls for 11 weeks now ,the weather has been warmish mostly, but had few days of rain
i havent seen any runny noses or eyes .
they have been getting layer pellets since we have had them
they also get mixed corn too but only as a treat
debs

Last edited:
i put down lost of paper with small amout of hay where they lay coz i thought i could be dust ,i have a wormer called flubenvet just in case they needed doing

Back
Top Bottom