Thin Hens?

PdxChick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
I am a little concerned about my BR hens. The three of them are 10 months old and they look a little thinner than they did just a few weeks ago. I keep layer pellets available all the time and feed scraps once a day. I also hang a cabbage in their run for fun. They are very active and seem happy, just a little thin. I have checked their poop and see no worms. I will check for mites today or tomorrow -- it's raining cats and dogs now. I looked at the Breed Standard and it says 7 1/2 lbs for BR's. I may try to weigh them if it ever stops raining. Also, they have each been laying an egg a day all winter. Assuming no mites, how can I fatten up the girls, or is it necessary?
I will also get pic's up later, I know 1 pic is worth 1,000 words.

Thanks

I bet they are fine. I am assuming you have hatchery stock birds, so if that is the case, they will probably not ever reach 7.5 lbs, and even if they get there, they will be about 2 years old before reaching their full adult weight.

Hi neighbor (I'm in Portland) and thanks for the quick reply. I think they are probably fine. I was just thinking that instead of "skinny" they look more "sleek". Good to know that 7 1/2 lbs isn't necessary. Just by looking, they don't seem that weighty. I'll still post a pic later, just for good measure.

I've been having weight problems with my buff orp for the last few weeks (see my thread in Feeding and Watering section) - it seems she's got some sort of eating disorder!

I'm very worried about her, so can completely understand your feelings of concern. I felt really guilty when I realised the weight loss had been going on for a little while before I found out.

I was wondering the same thing. I took three random fecal samples to the vet and they checked for bacteria and parasites and both came up negative. They are laying well, look and appear healthy. I'll check for the V vs. Y thing tomorrow--I am assuming those are to be upside down? Breastbones are felt easily, not much meat there. They will be 1 year old on April 7th and it was a cold winter. Do they loose weight in the winter? They pretty much stopped laying for about 2 months NOV-Jan.

Thanks!

Lisa

A coincidence you wrote this. I have bantams and they just seem skinny to me too. They are a year old and seemed fatter, before they had chicks. The chicks are about 6 mos. now. They have Layena crumbles, scratch, and extra stuff from my kitchen --- table scraps, fruit, veggies, etc. Can't see any worms or mites. So am wondering what replies you will get and if they apply to my chickens also. Thanks for letting me "tag on" to your post.

Me Too! I think I've been reading in Emergencies too much. I was feeling the hens on Monday wondering if they were skinny. Then I realized that they were eating lots of food, producing lots of eggs, and were active. So I decided to let go of the worry. Wouldn't it be nice if we could connect up with other BYCers close by for "hands on" advice?

Imp/Russ

YES! I wish I had an expert in my back pocket!! (Well, with this site, we kind of do...!)

Vet suggested that I worm them anyway even though there was no sign of parasites. That doesn't sound right to me...I hope that someone can chime in on this one.

Lisa

As in V or or Y shaped while they are standing, you want to be able to feel the keel/breast bone. You want it to be a V shape, they are too skinny if that keel sticks out and feels like the back edges of a knife in addition to having the indent on the sides like the Y. They won't be anything like "chicken" from the store as those are double breasted birds. Fat birds are prone to fat deposits on the reproductive tract and increase the risk of prolapse. A thinner bird is just fine, especially if the fecal tests come back positive, there is nothing to worry about.

I personally would not worm just because. Wormers are had on the instestines and rough on the bird.

Back
Top Bottom