Thin hunched chick that's ravenous and also strangely tame?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spikennipper, Sep 14, 2010.

1. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Does anyone know what would cause a chick to act in this manner? the chick is about 6 weeks old now and this one has been showing these symptoms for around a week, all the other 6 chicks in the flock with their mother are showing no such symptoms and are acting normally, this one will be the first to come running over appearing unafraid, although it doesn't particularly like being picked up as I don't handle the chicks so none are tame, when they are fed this one is straight into the food eating quickly and pushing the others out of the way even though he feels rather thin, I have also noticed when he walks he appears rather hunched in comparison, I checked inside his mouth a week ago and thought I saw a grey 3-4mm long plaque near his tongue, today it is no longer there though he does seem pale, his faeces are light brown and rather soft though no sign of blood, other than that he seems rather bright! follows his mother and siblings around and eating loads! [​IMG] I wormed him yesterday with levamisole and seperated him overnight though he is more or less the same today.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I suppose you could try treating for cocci, if they are on dirt.

I might try that, then I'd just put him back with his mates and watch. There could be so many different things wrong. Hopefully it's not much and he will be fine, maybe just a slow grower.

Good luck.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by