1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thin, light colored shells and difficulty laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pollo ojo, May 15, 2016.

1. pollo ojo

pollo ojo New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Hi!

We have 3 layers- 2 average one egg a day. 1 is a little....different.

She can spend most of a day with her rear end low and walking more like a penguin than a chicken. She looks uncomfortable and doesn't jump or run as well as she does the rest of the time.

When she does lay the egg it is thinner shelled with a lighter brown color and not as often as her sisters.

Any suggestions? We use a commercial organic layer crumble. We've recently added oyster shells. They get a lot of time outside.

Thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! She's got a problem, and there are several possible issues. Is she older? Have you looked for mites and lice, especially at night with a flashlight? Eating well, and normal weight, not too thin? Injured? Prolapsing? Oyster shell in a separate dish, right? Internal issues won't go well, so I hope you can figure something out that's easily fixed. Mary

3. pollo ojo

pollo ojo New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Thanks for your reply.

She's only about 6 months old. No mites or ticks. She eats well and is not under weight. Not injured or prolapsed. Yes, oyster shell in a separate dish. We only just added it to the coop in the last week.

Yeah, I don't figure internal issues will end well for her. She seems to be fine after she lays the egg and I'd guess this has been going on for 3 months. Makes me think it's not something horrible. Thoughts?

T

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Hope it's immaturity, and she'll do better as she grows up. Good luck! Mary

5. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    Does she carry her tail cocked off to the side? I am just gathering information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by