Thin Shell Eggs Only One Chicken, Others Ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mxitman, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mxitman

mxitman In the Brooder

Hello, I have 4 chickens at home and recently one of them has been laying thin shell eggs. I can tell who lays what based on the difference in heritage of the chickens. I read that it may be caused by lack of calcium, but I give them a high quality organic layer feed and access to oyster shell, and give them the egg shells back... ground down and mixed in with couple of eggs every week.

The other three have really thick shells and I can't figure out what else it could be? They all eat and drink the same, and everything else appears to be ok. She get's lots to eat because she usually is the bully and gets what she wants.

Just in case it matters, the one with the problem is a Delaware, another one is a Red Maran and the other 2 are Black Australorps. The first 2 are around 1 year old and the last 2 are around 6 months.

Thanks,

Rick

2. PetalPullet

PetalPullet Hatching

Jun 23, 2010
    Petal
    Does that chicken lay a very large egg?
    I have a leghorn that lays the largest egg of all the hens. The shell on these large eggs are thinner than the other eggs. I figure it has to do with the larger size. I could be wrong though - no professional egg experience. My girls all eat the same laying mash and have plenty of forage and scraps. Am interested in knowing if yours is laying an XL egg.
    Lynn

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    One of ours laid eggs like that. I gave her 2 years before I rehomed her. SHe always had poor production and sometimes paper thin shells. I'm convinced it was just her metabolism not her diet. hey, they can't all be perfect!
    Note: I told her new owner about her laying problems when I gave her away. He didn't care.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Make sure that the hen in question selectively gets fed extra calcium and vitamin D.

Once you have done this, and if the situation remains unchanged, she may have a problem with her reproductive system (eg shell gland).
    If she has an ovary or shell gland problem she will never lay good eggs again. I had a hen with an ovarian tumour who went from thin shelled to no shelled eggs. She eventually started to masculinise....comb and wattles grew and she began to get aggressive. I had to have her put down.

Hope your hen isn't like this one.

sandie

5. mxitman

mxitman In the Brooder

Thanks for the replies, She does lay a very large egg, XL Size. I thought it may have something to do with how big the eggs are, too bad their body can't hold back until the shells are harder guess you can't change mother nature. I'll try to separate her and give her some extra calcium and Vitamin D for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    What kind of vitamin D and how much do they need?

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I've read on BYC by another poster that this can be genetics and that sometimes there is no remedy...

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi Karen,

I usually use either baby vitamin drops or cheap and cheerful bread with vitaminised margarine (vits. A&D added). It is always worthwhile doing this before deciding that you have an irremediable problem

Sandie

9. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Thanks - if yours are like mine, they love the bread. Never would have thought of margarine though.

10. mxitman

mxitman In the Brooder

well I hope it works, she's a little strange chicken. She has no fear, which if I lived anywhere outside the city would definitely be the end for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: