thin shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksuk, Oct 24, 2010.

1. chicksuk

chicksuk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Hull
    hi , i've been getting 2 eggs daily for about 4 weeks, but then today i've got an egg with very thin shell, does anyone know wether this is likely to be another chook starting to lay, or one of the others stopping laying for the time of year.
    the shells on all other eggs have been very firm .

thanks in advance

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    If your hens are just starting to lay, then it could be a new egg. It could also just be a fluke egg from a regular layer. In any case, it's a good idea to give them calcium (Tractor Supply and other places like that will sell bags of ground oyster shell for chickens) so that they don't get an egg that is too thin and have them become eggbound. You can give it free choice; they will eat it when they need it.

3. Queen Kluckmore

Queen Kluckmore New Egg

May 31, 2009
    I got a thin shelled egg one time it. I read in some chicken care book that u should give them oyster shells to eat so their eggs stay hard. i gave them oyster shells and that was the last time i had a thin shelled egg. good luck [​IMG]

4. chicksuk

chicksuk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Hull
    got 2 eggs again today , both normal , so am now assuming one of the other young hens starting to lay, and first one a bit underdeveloped .hopefully all ok now , thanks for advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by