Thin Shelled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcbridb, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mcbridb

mcbridb Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    We added 10 chickens and 1 guinea fowl to our flock about one month ago. They were all around 1 year old. My 3 hens I already had are 1 1/2 yrs old and 9 months old. I knew that I would have thin shelled eggs or shell less eggs due to the stress of adding/moving chickens. This has happened. I countered with having crushed oyster shell in one feeder, giving them pumpkin, squash and cottage cheese. They won't eat the oyster shell--they totally ignore it. The pumpkin, squash and cottage cheese are gone in no time. They get this a couple times a week. I am feeding them Dumor crumbles, treats of cracked corn and the aforementioned extras as well as veggies. The eggs are still thin shelled, wrinkled and occasionally a shell less one. What am I missing/doing wrong? One of the hens did die suddenly about 3 weeks after I got them. The others have shown no sign of problems.

2. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    I add some Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds for the extra protein. I am sure there are other ideas but I am kinda new to chickens as well.

3. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    It's strange that alll the hens have this problem! You might look into disease as a culprit, instead of straight nutritional deficiency.
    I read recently of a disease that chickens can have & get over (is it CRD, or Marek's, or something else? I don't remember) that will leave the chickens laying thin-shelled eggs, for a while at least. I don't remember the disease nor the thread I read it on a few weeks ago. I only know I have a pullet of 2 years who has had a bit of fungal or mold contamination in the lung (I keep it at bay with vinegar in her water), and she sleeps a little more and has had thinner shelled eggs since she got the disease. The vet confirmed the fungal/mold part to me.
    Certain diseases of chickens interfere with the body's ability to absorm calcium & other minerals. I can't be more specific. Maybe you can find this thread & other helpful info by doing lots of searching on BYC, but it sounds like you're doing some great things. I would personally not give them cottage cheese because residue can get stuck in the crop and grow mold. Chickens & dairy weren't made for each other. Dark leafy greens, along with your pumpkin, have lots of calcium, magnesium & trace minerals. How about those? My chickens love spinach, chard, and kale [​IMG]

It also could be sequellae of some antibiotic or wormer they were all given....[​IMG] It might take a while to leave their system. I don't know much about this. Just that some drugs and antibiotics can hinder calcium absorption in humans.

Good luck!

4. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    LOL went out to the coop after I read this post this morning...I got my first perfectly shaped shell-less egg. It wasnt in the nesting box though, it was on the ground.

5. mcbridb

mcbridb Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Now if you had said to give them tomatoes (which they LOVE!), cucumbers, watermelon, cantelope, squash or pumpkin I would be out the door to the store. If I give them lettuce, cabbage, greens it will sit there and mold. They won't touch it. Mine are so spoiled it's sad. I will see about making a run for the sunflower seeds. Hopefully that will help them. Thank you for the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by