1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thin Shelled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SpokaneWA1988, Aug 27, 2014.

1. SpokaneWA1988

SpokaneWA1988 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    We have backyard chickens for the first time this year & they started laying about a month ago. They have consistently laid eggs with hard shells and then today, one of them layer an egg on the ground (they always lay in the nesting box) and the shell was so thin, it nearly broke apart when I picked it up. Since I'm new to chickens, I'm not really sure what could be going on. We feed them Layena which says it has "top levels" of calcium but we just switched to Layena from a different feed within the last week. They free range in our backyard for about 4 hours a day, sometimes more on the weekends & get treats such as zucchinni, squash, broccoli, and strawberries.

Also, only three of the five are laying right now. Is it possible that another one just started laying and this was her first egg?

Thanks for the input- I'm still learning about chickens :)

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    More than likely, that is exactly what happened. Feed back your egg shells for just a little more Ca.

3. SpokaneWA1988

SpokaneWA1988 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks! I'll try adding some more calcium into their diet too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by