Thin shelled sandpapery eggs then none? Molting, food change, sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elieugene6, Oct 28, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Ok, question.

I have one ee that is definitely molting. No eggs for a month and she is a wreck. She stays in the coop and hides on the roost or behind a board. She does eat and drink but then goes back to hiding. I have increased her protein. Now another chicken started laying thin shelled light colored sandpapery eggs. Then they stopped and I wasn't getting any presumably from that chicken. Today I had one of my rsl pullets stay on the roost for most of the morning. Finally around noon she came outside. She doesn't look like she is molting. She doesn't sneeze or anything like that. Seems healthy just lazy this morning. Then one of my amberlink pullets layed a small sandpapery light colored egg this morning.

Is it possible that they are all starting to molt and this is the start of it? Could she be sick? I thought of IB but no other symptoms. I did recently (about 2 wks ago) change from layer to flock raiser w/ oyster shell free choice. Is it possible for chickens to lay while molting and wind up laying odd eggs due to not having enough to lay corectly?

Last thing is my oldest chicken (6yrs or more) has been laying normal looking eggs with a few wavy circles right around the small end of the egg. This has been for more than a year though.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. --- amberlinks 7 mo, rsl 7mo, production red 6+ yrs, ee 6+yrs dont know weights but normal.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. --- explained above
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? ee- 1 month, rsl egg stuff few days and roost behavior this morning, amberlink today
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? ----Most of the birds are acting normal
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.--- no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.--- my ideas are above
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. ---- explained above, also free ranged and have been spending lots of time in garden
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. ----normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?---- increased protien
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?--- must treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.--- wont be able to get until tomorrow.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use----- bedding consists of straw, hay, shavings and grass clippings

No they have not been wormed, they do get acv in their water. I have checked for mites and stuff within the last week. Have not seen any signs. I check bi-weekly for mites due to an irrational dislike of them.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Really belongs in the emergencies section, and you should review the questions at the beginning of that section and tell us more.

Have you wormed your chickens? What about mites/lice?

3. elieugene6

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Anybody, somebody please! This is why I posted elsewhere everything I post here gets no response. Please help. She was up and moving around for the rest of the day with everyone else but I still would like some imput.

4. bangolure

bangolure Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    use Diatamaceous Earth, DE for short ..pick some up at home Depot in the pool section ..its fossils ground into flour, (silica realy) you can spread in the laying boxes , scatter in the pen ,even mix in the feed as it will worm them naturaly without having to burn the eggs for 10 days.. this stuff is amazing!! will kill mites, spiders, lice,roaches,ants.. nothing likes it!!

5. elieugene6

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    The thing is I don't see any mites, lice etc. Aren't you supposed to use food grade diatamaceous earth?

6. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    I would SERIOUSLY contact a vet. Is she egg bound????

7. elieugene6

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    No she is definitely not egg bound. She is acting normal today. Contacting a vet is not an option. Unlike most of the people on here my chickens while I love them are livestock not pets. I hate to say it but if it was to come down to quality of life she would be culled.

I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me if when they are getting ready to molt, do they lay an "off" egg or two right before? It is getting quite cold here and despite the light I have in the coop the days are shorter and they free range less.

None of them act even remotely sick. They are out free ranging and enjoying themselves right now. Except for the one in the heavy molt. She is avoiding the rooster which is why she is hiding.

8. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry. I am in both areas. We use them for eggs but they are our pets.

9. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:Yes, look for food grade. My understanding is that the pool grade may have other chemicals in it. Took us a a couple of stores before we found it but it is out there. It's called Perma-Guard. You can get it on Amazon but would probably cost a fortune to send it since it comes in 50# bags.

I have the same thing going on with our eggs too. I also have one hen who is molting and can't get on the roost at night just wanders around on the floor until I put her up.

Sandee

10. elieugene6

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    So do you think the sandpapery issue has something to do with molting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by