Thin, "Shy" and weak hen, please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by acoustic-rooster, Oct 5, 2011.

1. acoustic-rooster

acoustic-rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    N E Ohio
    I have to go somewhere now, but will look back here when I can. One of my Golden Laced Whyanndotts is very thin and can't jump up to the roosts in the evening, her crop feels like it's filled with sand. She is the only one like this and I hope it's not a disease. She doesn't hang around with the rest of my flock as much, and she rests more then the others. If there is anything else you need to know to help, I'll tell you what I know when I get back. Thank you.

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Probably Impacted Crop, Or Malnutrition. If its IP, I've heard you feed her Veggie oil and that will help, but im not sure. Mal. is terrible, try to give her Cat food, Cheese, any thing with protein and calcium. and De worm her, With Wazine, Just in case

Hope this helps... Yankee

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Have you wormed her with Fenbendazole or Valbazen? Not just Wazine, that only kills roundworms. Also check her closely for mites. They're tiny and easy to miss unless you look close. They do suck blood and can stunt growth, make them anemic or even kill chickens.

4. acoustic-rooster

Oct 3, 2011
    N E Ohio
    Might be impacted, I've fed her some Olive oil and massaged some. Doubt it's worms since she is the only one with a problem and she doesn't want to eat much, same for malnutrition. I've looked her over and don't see any mites. Any good references for impacted crop?

5. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    In the meantime, she sounds like she has stopped eating due to her distress. You can give her live mealworms to help keep her from starving. They sell them at Petco or Petsmart or most pet supply stores where they also sell reptiles. Meal worms are an excellent source of protein and will help her to hang on while you are figuring out what is wrong. I agree with both of the other comments, too. You should worm and check for mites. Also, consider treating with Tylan 50.

6. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Quote:Also, they often will stop eating in response to a bad mite infection.

7. acoustic-rooster

Oct 3, 2011
    N E Ohio
    She is gone now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by