thin/wobbly chicken...please help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tabithas, Feb 4, 2013.

1. tabithas

tabithas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a 6 month old EE who I desperately need help with! She has had multiple issues over the last few months. I got her and another EE at the same time when they were about 8 weeks old. They had mites when we got them, which we treated with Sevin. I thought they had recovered as I could find no more evidence of mites, and after keeping them seperate from the other chickens for about a month, we introduced them into the flock.

All was well for a while, but then this one stopped growing like the others. She has always been active and eaten great, but she was about half the size of her "sister". About a month ago, I noticed that her left eye was swollen shut! I isolated her to the garage and started treating her eye. At this time, I discovered that she still had mites! The whole flock was again treated with Sevin. I believe she scratched her eye because of the mites. After treating her eye for almost three weeks, It seems to havebeen healed, but she has lost all vision in that eye.

She was doing great in the garage, eating well and starting to gain weight. I have been trying to transition her back into the flock, but she is terrified of the other chickens, and now spends all day sitting on top of the nest boxes. She started losing weight again, and a few days ago I noticed that she is very wobbly and uncoordinated when she walks. I have been feeding her a mash of chick starter and plain yougrt mixed with scrambled eggs or tuna for extra protein. She is still eating great!

My other concern is that her "sister" suddenly died a few days ago. She had no symptoms of illness, other that a firm lump by her wing joint that had been there for a couple months...I thought she may have injured herself. She had been acting totally normal, except for the day before she died she was not wanting to free range like normal.

These are my first chickens, and I seem to be having a lot of issues. Of the 12 chickens I have gotten since may, 5 have died...one as a two week old chick from an appearent respiratory issue, one as a 4 week old chick ...she developed sudden neurologic issues and was dead within 24 hours of her first symptoms. The third was 8 weeks old and just seemed to fade (this was about the time we were first dealing with mites). They fourth was again respiratory issues, and the last was the "sister" of the one I am having issues with now.

It seems when I have one chicken get sick, none of the others seem to get sick. All of the deaths seem unrelated. The other 6 I have now seem very healthy (4 are laying).

This little thin/wobbly EE has me perplexed. I have searched this site and it sounds like she could have anything from a vitamin defieciency to Mareks . I started giving her poly-v-sol today and plan on once again isolating her as the other chickens are picking on her.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on with her or what I can try to help her? I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I am at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong with my chickens and how to help this poor girl! Please, someone help me!

Thank you!

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Could be Merke's could be she is getting pecked in the gaed by a bully. Do you see an area were the feathers are missing on her head or the back of the head? she amy be thin because they are not letting her eat, set up two feed and water areas, give her food directly and water. Sounds like you got some sick chicks to start with. Most chickens get exposed to Merke's some die right away, some live for awhile with some symptoms, vit B12 seeems to help with the neurologic problems caused by Merke's disease. I put the B12 in the water.

3. tabithas

tabithas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the reply! I know she is being picked on as I have seen the others peck her, but they do not seem to be injuring her. I have looked her over and found no wounds on her, but she is obviously scared of the others. She spends most of her day perched up high where they pretty much leave her alone. I have two feed/water stations, and I have been making a point to feed her a mash of chick starter, yogurt, and egg or tuna once a day. Today I seperated her into a big dog kennel right next to the coop. She ate and drank a ton (her crop was huge!). I put her back in the coop for the night and will seperate her out again in the morning. I never thought about the others possibly pecking her in the head! If I can't get her acclimated back into the flock, I may consider building another small coop for her and her silkie buddy, or as a last resort, rehoming her. I really want to hang on to her...she is my favorite! Thanks for the advice. I also plan on continuning the vitamins and will get some vit. B tomorrow and start that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by