Thing hanging from my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southernboy502, Mar 6, 2017.

1. southernboy502

southernboy502 New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Hi all,

New member i am hoping somebody can tell me what this is, i noticed it on my chicken about 2 hours ago and i am really confused if it is something vital or not sense my hen has been acting normal with it and i have seen her laying on it.[​IMG]

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Well I am no expert but that seems serious to me. Anyone else?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh no, that looks like a bad prolapse with bowel hanging out. I would get her and separate her immediately. A prolapsed cloaca is where the oviduct and large intestine are joined together, and normally in mild cases only the cloaca pops out an inch or so. This picture appears to have bowel tissue invovement and much more serious. I'm not sure this hen can survive. Can you get her serrled in a basket inside, and take a closer picture? Do you have saline where you could keep the tissue wet? Honey is good for helping to reduce swelling. I will look at the new picture, and hopefully others will add advice.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC by the way. Does it look like the hen may have been pecked about the vent. Cannibalism can cause or worsen this type of prolapse.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry this is your first time here.

I agree with the above treatment measures that @Eggcessive has given you. It looks like the bowel is possibly hanging out as well. Keeping the tissue moist is essential, if you don't have honey you can apply hemorrhoid cream to help reduce swelling and keep it moist.

Better photos would be helpful as well. Hopefully a clearer picture may show that it's not as bad as it seems. Keep her separated and calm and see that she has water to drink.

Keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  6. southernboy502

southernboy502 New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Ok i followed the advice y'all gave me and i took her from the flock and put her in a smaller (dident have anything halfway big) container in the garage and i put a towel under her, she seems to be bleeding not a lot but study and i gave her some water also here is a better picture i took in the garage. just to clarify to i need to put the honey on the vent?
    [​IMG]

7. southernboy502

southernboy502 New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Steady not sturdy

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Unfortunately as others have said. it looks like her flock mates have been pecking at her, perhaps after she prolapsed and pulled some bowel out and done quite a bit of damage by the look of it. I think you may need to make preparations to euthanize her as I'm not sure how you would go about putting that back in and getting it to stay put. You could try a vet if she is a family pet and you want to throw some money at the problem, but I think the kindest thing you can probably do is give her a quick end. I'm sorry. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, I really don't think that she will make it with that much bowel hanging outside. I am so sorry. Normally, with a prolapse, you would only see the red tissue hanging out. That you would keep moist with honey or hemorrhoid cream to hopefully reduce swelling. With all the bowel hanging out, the bluish tissue is large intestines, and it is probably too late to help her. I would decide on how to put her out of her misery. A sharp knife to her jugular vein would be very quick. There are other methods if you do a search for "ways to humanely euthanize a chicken."

1 person likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's *very* serious. Time to see a vet or euthanize her yourself. So sorry. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by