thing hanging out of vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GrayAcres, May 29, 2010.

1. GrayAcres

GrayAcres In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    I have a very pretty hen in my backyard that has adopted us. We cannot get near her but have noticed something very long and "wet looking" hanging from her vent (touches the ground). It appears to be kind of white, like a mucus. I have searched to try to find answers but have been unsuccessful. Anyone have an idea what this could be and how to treat it?
    Thanks

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Could it be a worm??? You may need to worm her and see if that helps .. Plus pictures would really be helpful....

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh dear! That doesn't sound good. If it was red I'd say she had a prolapse, but white? Maybe a soft shelled egg that her body can't expel completely? First- can you catch her? You need to be able to catch her and evaluate her fully before you can fix her. If you can't lay hands on her then you can't help her. Sorry.

Good luck.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It sounds like a soft or shell less egg that has not ben fully expelled. You need to catch her and try to remove it and clean her up. Try catching her at night when she is roosting or bedded down for the night.

5. GrayAcres

GrayAcres In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Thank you SO much for the replies!! I have learned that it is not a worm. My husband found some of it yesterday and looked closely. We are now thinking (after reading the replies) that it is an egg that has broken inside of her. There is no way for us to catch her. We don't even know where she goes to nest. Twice we have lucked out in finding her nest. We are looking again.

Can anyone tell me what can happen if we can't clean her up? Will nature do it or will she get sick?
    Thanks again for the help!

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Songster

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    if she doesn't expell it she will probably not make it.. infection will set in... sorry i would try to catch her when it is dark.. they can't see at all in the dark. if you can catch her try soaking her in warm water it will relax her completely and she may be able to get it out.. or you will have to gently help her get it out..

7. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chirping

May 5, 2010
    Get a net or chase her for a while, she'll get tired after a while and pull it out. Are the other chickens after it? If you cant catch her and the other chickens arn't picking on her she's prob. ok. Shounds like soft shell egg (need Oyster shells) maybe plastic? either way it needs to come out. I'd go catch her and pull on it. Chicken run out of steam after a 100 yards, you should be able to grab it in a corner then.

8. GrayAcres

GrayAcres In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Thank you everyone for the help. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I took the binoculars just now and it looks to be gone. However, I will try your suggestions and see if I can't make sure it is out. She and the rooster are the only 2 that are free range in the yard. The other hens are in a pen. We are having a problem getting those 2 to join the group.

By the way, any idea what kind she is? Black with white speckles on her. (We call her Speckles. So original!) I don't have a camera or I'd post a picture.

9. prncs13

prncs13 In the Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    Sounds like she is a Barred Rock from the description. Try to coax her over with food and see if someone can sneak up and grab her from behind. I have had to pull out eggs and put in prolapses before.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: