Things are looking good for me, this next school year...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Jul 1, 2010.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Will, the school bord is going to buy me a BRAND new laptop [​IMG] (wish they would buy me Speck Q....) and i am going to be using an Ipod touch in class next year. if you go here there is a neat video about using Ipod touchs in the class room ... http://www.apple.com/ca/education/ (i have a learning disablement so every thing helps and counts) [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Awesome!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hey kiddo! Thats good about the laptop and stuff...
    But dont get TOO dependent on them! You still need to do writing and such the old fashioned way too!With pencil and paper..
    My foster son also has all those tools at school for his disability... but when hes at home i make him do writing the old fashiond way.(because he CAN do it if he really tries and isnt being lazy....)...And if he cant spell a word i give him the dictionary to use...
    Just dont want you to get too used to all those fancy gadgets in case you wont have them in the "real" world when you are out of school.
    Good luck! [​IMG]
    ETA: I also wanted to say..that i have seen your posts for a LONG time now... and your spelling has gotten SO SO much better!!!!! You CAN do it too!. Just keep working at it... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Haha, yes, i still when i am lazy i write by hand, but when i have the energy i type/speck

5. Quote:Amen Red... DS 6th grade this year... was required to bring 4 packs of 200sheets WR notebook paper... 3 3/4 were sent home at the end of the year. Not giving me a lot of faith that they did anything more than worksheets all year.

Then there's a school here in Arlington that doesn't bother teaching cursive at all.

Some of these kids... they're going to be in deep doodie if their college, job application, boss... requires anything to actually be hand written.

I was discussing this with DH the other day... y'all ever see Over The Hedge? The coon is giving a tour and says "This is an SUV. Humans ride around in them because they're slowly losing the ability to walk" -paraphrased-... all this tech stuff is worrying me on the same note... we're slowly losing our ability to WRITE. And everything created could be wiped out with the wave of a virus, magnet, power plant crash, etc. Very scary IMHO... so mine will still be writing whether they think they need it in today's tech world, or not.

As to individual students getting laptops... how in the nine hades is that fair treatment? Public schools are supposed to treat all kids equally... which is why ramps are required by law... why ESL programs are required... why Dyslexia programs and Special Ed are required... etc. so that every child has a chance to succeed.... shelling out huge bucks just for a handful isn't kosher in my book.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by