Things couldn't be better.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BirdsInParadise, Jun 26, 2016.

1. BirdsInParadise

BirdsInParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    So, the (hopefully) girls have been outside for 2 weeks now and they are doing great. They come running whenever they see us.
    IT'S SO CUTE!!!
    They havent figured out to go back in their coop at dusk yet, though.
    Ive been coaxing them up by rattling a few mealies in a can. That does the trick.

They are about 7 weeks old now and still eating the starter.
    When do i change their food to the next stage? (Forgot what the people here were calling it)
    Also, is ut harmful to add some starter food in with the newer stuff to use it up? I have quite a bit left and nothing to do with it...

Thanks for any and all thoughts, advice, recommendations etc...

PS...
    Will try and post a current pick a bit later
    (Are they girls!?)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. eggolio

eggolio Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    My chix have been eating the starter since 12 (or even more) weeks. When they were younger we tried giving them a scratch. They didn't eat it. We waited until they were older and started giving it to them. It's just a matter of when the feel like trying something new. At about 4-5mos. we gave them laying mash.

3. eggolio

eggolio Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    I think at about 1mo their combs turn red if they are roosters.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think you are thinking of layer feed. I wouldn't switch them off of grower until they are all laying. I personally don't feed layer, I prefer to keep them on a non me grower or feed an All Flock ration because it has a higher protein. Scratch is considered a treat to be scattered on the ground to give them something to scratch and peck at not an actual feed. I would continue with your starter for now, if it's medicated switch to a non medicated one. You can add a separate bowl of oyster shells after they start laying.

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    They should have been switched to grower at one month old. Grower until they are about 16-20 weeks just before they start laying, then switch to layer. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

6. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    OK. Thanks for the feed back everyone!
    Bummed about the food. Oh well, maybe i can use ut to feed the ducks at my local park?
    Anyhow, here's a pic of the (hopefully) girls.
    [​IMG]

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You can keep feeding the starter. Grower and starter are interchangeable. They can eat it their whole life as long as it's not medicated. That you should stop after a few months.

8. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    Thanks, Old Hen.
    Is 3 months fine for medicated? Or too long?

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally medicated feed is fed up to 8 weeks in age. I don't think it will cause any troubles to feed it longer.

10. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several different age groups and I'm feeding medicated starter/grower all in one. I just got my first egg today. It had a nice hard shell on it. I am so happy. My point is, I'm still feeding starter/grower, medicated at that, due to having so many different age groups in together. I'm hoping it's ok to do, because I really can't do it any differently until they all get older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by