Things happen when your not there.

Tonyroo

Free Ranging
Mar 29, 2020
N. California
So today in the afternoon I lost my rooster and hen, they were free ranging with the rest of the flock.

I think I know what killed them, it was a stray dog. Cause I remember hearing a couple of barks but was busy cleaning house.

Then a neighbor came by to tell me my chickens were all over the place. I saw one hen on top of my car, I can tell she was in shock.

I went on the hunt to find out how many I had left. Good thing they all came back minus the hen and rooster. And I was happy to see my newest chick group were ok. They are from the hen and rooster that died from dog attack. I'm not too upset, but disappointed it happened, just a darn learning curve I could have lived without.
20210715_164618.jpg
20210530_114437.jpg

Last edited:
So today in the afternoon I lost my rooster and hen, they were free ranging with the rest of the flock.

I think I know what killed them, it was a stray dog. Cause I remember hearing a couple of barks but was busy cleaning house.

Then a neighbor came by to tell me my chickens were all over the place. I saw one hen on top of my car, I can tell she was in shock.

I went on the hunt to find out how many I had left. Good thing they all came back minus the hen and rooster. And I was happy to see my newest chick group were ok. They are from the hen and rooster that died from dog attack. I'm not too upset, but disappointed it happened, just a darn learning curve I could have lived without.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it doesn't happen to you again. RIP to your pair of birds.:(❤️

Thank you, I really didn't expect a dog would be there demise. I never had a stray appear in 10 years I lived here.
We had two dogs kill one of our chickens before. I don't know if they were wild or not but it was really sad and tramautic. Our chickens weren't even free ranged or anything they had a run and house so I'm not sure how they got in there. I was only a little kid then so I don't remember it that much. ;)

I'm very sorry for your losses. 🙁

Dogs are responsible for more chicken losses than anything, I'm pretty sure. The only way to stop it is to contain your chickens, and that's not always feasible nor desirable for many. It's that age old debate: to free range and suffer lossesbut let chickens be chickens, or contain them and lose fewer but restrict their natural inclinations. It's kind of a lose-lose situation, in a way.

View attachment 2824094View attachment 2824095
What breed are they?

What breed are they?
There both Swedish Flower breed. She was my favorite hen for laying extra large eggs consistently and very smart for a chicken.

That's why I hatched 2 sets of her eggs, except the 1st group of 10 chicks got killed by raccoons. Only 1 pullet survived. My 2nd batch are doing well, 6 chicks, 3 cockerels and 3 pullets.

Then I have the baby that was suppose to be a companion for the 1 gold deathlayer egg that I incubated. But it didn't make it. So the lone Swedish Flower chick was raised by me being the mom. It turned out to be a cockerel. He's still bonded to me at 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom