Things I have learned - Update 2!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dfchaser, May 12, 2008.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Well I still have 14 eggs in my bator and will keep them in until Saturday (probably). I had 6 chicks attempt the hatching process and have only had 2 make it. They are doing wonderfully (glad the one is not alone!) I hope that the others are just slow, but I doubt that they will hatch at all.

Things I have learned for next time (hopefully next month, whenever my friend can give me some more free eggs):
    -get a better thermometer/hydrometer
    -place eggs in egg carton in bator (just had them laying on side the whole time)
    -not to get depressed when hatch happens late or not to well, be happy to have a few

willing to give it another shot (i would like to do it soon DH wants me to wait) so we shall see!

Now I need to get thru another goat birth, problem is i dont know when she got pregnant!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I'm sorry-I had a 0% hatch on my first try. One my second I got 14 chicks-I think dh would have liked if I had waited to put more in, but I just went ahead and ordered the eggs! lOl

3. chickenandgoatlady

chickenandgoatlady Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    help can anyone tell me how to post my own question????? thankyou:rolleyes:

4. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    i would jump right back in, but i do need to get thru exams and graduation. so hopefully after that i will be good to go!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Oops....

Go to the catagory that you want to post your question in and at the top right hand side there will be a link for starting a new topic.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    UPdate -

Well i was pretty convinced that the remaining eggs were not going to hatch at all, and the DH Called to tell me that one had tried. Not sure what happened to it but it was not successful (probably hit vein again). But that leaves me a little more hopeful that maybe i can get more than one chick! [​IMG]

7. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Dh called me at dinner to say that there were eggs rocking in the bator! There are more chicks that are alive! I hope they can make it out okay. I also have new eggs coming the first week of june, the person we got these from is a friend and said any time!

My hopes are rising again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by