Things just went from bad to worse...malpositioned crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostereggs, Jan 23, 2014.

1. roostereggs

roostereggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    This 3.5 week old BCM I have been tube feeding is looking strange. I noticed after feeding last night when she was struggling to move to snuggle up against me... between her right wing and neck there was a 'bubble' in her skin but thought it was just because she was struggling. It was clear, thin skin. She poo'd everywhere, so I gave her a warm bath and dried her with a hair dryer and that calmed her down. The bubble was gone.

Just now I fed her and noticed this bubble again, at the back of her neck but to the right, by the right tip of her wing. I got the flashlight because it was a clear skin bubble with some veins. When I turned her, I saw the baby bird food sloshing in there...so is her crop malpositioned? It is really strange...I am going to take a photo and post it.

Some background: No respiratory issues. On Sunday I found her lying on her side and she has been unable to lift her head or walk since. I am treating for coccidiosis. Started with syringe feeds of moist dog food plus e-lyte solution, then tube feedings of kitten milk (only things I had at the time), and now Kaytee Exact baby bird. She has not gained weight, but has maintained at 105 grams.

2. roostereggs

Oct 19, 2013
    e[​IMG]

3. roostereggs

Oct 19, 2013
    So if you enlarge the photo, you can see the bubble and the lower right corner curve of it is the liquid, and the rest is air. Usually the feeding tube 'burps' itself. I can drop the tube again to let it out...but my main concern is that the crop is to the side and posterior. [​IMG]

Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Her crop would be on the right side, any chance your over feeding her? Why are you tube feeding?

5. roostereggs

Oct 19, 2013
    I wanted to cull her Sunday when I found her sick...kept reading not to keep unwell birds in the flock. Dh wanted me to help her...so I spent hours running around to get food and Corid and electrolytes. I wish I had culled her then...before I got attached to the sweet little runty girl. :( She wouldn't take more than drops of liquid food and water and was hoping that improving her nourishment and fluid status would help her and she would be up walking again. No luck. She also has foul/sour smelling diarrhea.

Her crop is on the right, but is it normal to see it behind the shoulder like that?

I am giving her a little more time, but not much.

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I'm not sure, my thought maybe your giving her to much. The smell is not a good sign. Do what you feel is right. Hugs

7. roostereggs

Oct 19, 2013
    Update: I culled her yesterday. She became uncomfortable and had dropped in weight despite the feedings.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Did you ever find out if that was her crop on her wing area?

9. roostereggs

Oct 19, 2013
    Thank you! It was her crop for sure...it was so strange. I am not sure if it is normal to be able to see into it, but her skin was paperthin there...? I could also see it in the front, but viewed more easily from the back. I tried to google malpositioned crop but no luck. She had coccidiosis and I think a secondary infection like Clostridium by the smell of her diarrhea.

10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I am sorry for your loss. Hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by