1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Things that ducks don't like, but chickens don't mind.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Oct 12, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Is there anything out there ( plants, sprays, smells, tastes ) that ducks can't candle but chicken love or just don't mind?

I'm having trouble with my duck muddying all the chickens water. She has 2 drinking tubs of her own and a swimming tub and yet will still go and muddy the chickens water.

My duck is like "Little Jack Orner" but instead of a thumb, she has her bill in every water bucket[​IMG].

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have my chickens on a nipple waterer system. It's one of the best things I've done for managing my birds. Nobody can foul the water. The ducks use it for drinking sometimes, too.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Oh, yes. Good idea.

Most of my flock is over 8 months old. Will they still be able to learn how to use the system?

4. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    My chickens were two when I got it. They figured it out in about two days. The ducks either figured it out on their own or learned by watching the chickens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by