Things to do with horse?

How about some Dressage patterns? Circles, shortening strides, lengthening strides, transitions, leg yields, halts etc.
Thanks!
I don't ride English so I am not very familiar with that kinda of stuff...
I think it would be really neat to try dressage/English riding though!
I hear it's a lot harder to ride English than western though. True or not?

I ride English or western depending on the horse (thoroughbreds look goofy in a western, lol). I don’t think either one is harder than the other. I love them both and bareback too (also not for thoroughbreds- too boney). Trail rides are the best!

Thanks!
I don't ride English so I am not very familiar with that kinda of stuff...
I think it would be really neat to try dressage/English riding though!
I hear it's a lot harder to ride English than western though. True or not?

You should look up Western Dressage. It is becoming extremely popular! Now, I've never ridden western, but to me, it looks as though it is a discipline designed for ease of use and long hours in the saddle pushing cattle. Dressage on the other hand has its roots in military/cavalry for war maneuvers and later refined as a living art form so to speak, so takes more strength and endurance training for both horse and rider. I also personally find the rider position for hunt seat/jumpers to be uncomfortable!

As to activities - what is your situation? Arena, round pen, large pastures, areas to ride away from home? Group trail riding or always alone?

There is ground driving - to include training for & improving the riding ability of your mount, logging, gardening/plowing/farming & helping around the property- and hitched driving - pleasure/trail to a simple ez entry cart, 4 wheel vehicle, showing in ADA events w/ specific requirements & 3 day event style driving that includes presentation, dressage & marathon/obstacles. Our Shetlands have done all of these types of driving and have been competitive when shown - single, pairs, 4-up and 3-abreast (farm/plowing events).

On the ground - obstacle & agility for horses just like for dogs. Training maneuvers that will improve any riding performance. IN hand trail shows done thru videos on line - garnering ribbons and year end awards while never hauling out to a show ground.

101 riding exercises by Cherry Hill is GREAT! There are many other such books out there and 4 riding both western and english. Any practice in good, basic dressage will improve your riding and your horse's performance - NO MATTER WHAT STYLE of riding you do or prefer.

Back
Top Bottom