Things to entertain my chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SavannahAnnV, Mar 9, 2017.

1. SavannahAnnV

SavannahAnnV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2017
    I have four baby chicks and they seem so bored! What are your recommendations for things to do with them or treats to give them?

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    You can put small branches in the brooder for them to climb upon. They don't really perch when little but it does give them something to do.

3. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    what they doin that i make it look like they bored?

giv them dirt bath to get in they need space to run round like big chicken do

4. SavannahAnnV

SavannahAnnV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2017
    That's a great idea! Thank you!!

5. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Mine love to tear up newspapers, you'll have confetti!!!
    Cardboard boxes, they'll peck it til its dead!!
    I put bird toys in from my budgie , mirror, bell .
    I like to feed them the same food in different dishes , a bowl , a feeder with holes and a taller cup !!

Have fun!!

6. tjbaker70

tjbaker70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2016
    New York
    I was just holding some of mine and spider waltzed into the brooder. It was hilarious to watch them chase it down and then when one chick got it i her beak, all the others went crazy chasing her. After that, they all started pecking at every poo as though they were all catching spiders. They seem interested in anything that comes into their domain. I put several sticks in and they peck at them and hop on top of them. They are only four days old.

I like the ideas proposed by @snow5164 ! I am going to try some of those ...

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Give them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn (about the size of a pie plate). Put it upside down. Hopefully there will be some insects and worms in it. When you start to introduce different foods, be sure they have grit. This can be the little bits in that sod, or a bit of gravel from your driveway. Put some marks on the side of their brooder with a sharpie, high enough so they have to jump to catch them. Give them multi height areas to play on. be sure their brooder is big enough. By the time my chicks are 2 - 3 weeks old, I want them to have 2 s.f./bird.

1 person likes this.
  8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x1000 Best thing I ever did was follow the sod advice (love ya, LG) and toss one in for my first brooder raised chicks. Now it's as automatic as filling the feeders!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  9. ChxLadyCass

ChxLadyCass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO

Any worry of them eating the newspaper? I have a bunch of shredded paper from a shipped package I wanted to use in the brooder or playground, but read that they may be at risk of eating it.

10. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I'd say no to tearing newspaper because they shred it into big pieces, now pre shredded paper is much smaller ... I've done it for three hatchings with no issues..

Your call , my brooder is full of newspaper, shavings and paper towels , a nice big mess!!

Of course my cocker spaniel eats my toilet paper tubes and I let her ( its fiber, right?)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by