Things to look for in a chicken at a hatchery???

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by KauAnnie, Jul 8, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Im going to visit the breeders today that have 3 silkie hens at 6 weeks. Im going with my younger brother, 7 yrs, whos not gonna care about what the chicken looks like.

I want to know about how they should look at 6 weeks, if they should be really friendly towards us(i.e. let us pet them?). Anything else, please and thank you.

Any pics? experiences? Id really appreciate it and ill post pics later when i get them [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    First, be sure to use biosecurity measures on their property - wash your shoes, clothes, and hands before returning to tend to any existing chickens you have. Sanitize the pen you used to transport your new chickens home in. Keep your new birds quarantined (completely separate) from your other birds for at least 30 days.

When you arrive at the breeder's location, check to see if the birds look like they are in general good health. Do they look well fed? Do they have clean water to drink? Are their pens relatively clean (not muddy, really smelly, etc.)? Since personality of a chicken is influenced by many factors, such as the particular breed, I wouldn't worry about them being a little "wild". Many times even the most tame chicken will take some time to warm up to a new home, but it can be done easily with treats such as mealworms, chopped veggies, etc.

3. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Ohh thank you, we brought home 2 new silkies, one looks kind of bald on her face and I didnt know if that was normal but my brother was so sure she was the one for him, Ill post some pics up so you can have a look, the lady told me they were 6 weeks old but theyre quite small and wild.

4. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are!! Snowball and Betty. Our lonely chicken has been keeping a distance, why? I would think shes happy to have friends?

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Dust or spray them for mites and keep them separated until it clears up. That's what it looks like is happening with the one with the "bald" face. If you pick that one up and look closely, you may see some small bugs crawling around it's face or around the vent.

6. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:I was looking around her face and under her wings but there was no critters. What powder do you rec I use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by