1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Think before you type!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickbea, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'll try to be quick with this [​IMG]
    There have been too many unfortunate posts over the last month or so with people thinking one person was being nasty, etc., when really I don't think anyone intends to actually hurt anyone else.

Here's the solution! You learned it from the first teacher who taught you writing! Before you give a speech, or put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), consider your audience. For instance, when writing over the internet, even with smilies and other modifiers, it is difficult to get the nuances of one's personality across, and it is much easier to misconstrue what someone has said. On this board, you are dealing with foks with a wide variety of experience levels. It is easy for a more experienced person to be frustrated by the same old questions. If that's the case, don't answer! Someone else will pick up the post, and eventually direct the newbie to the search button.
    If you know you are going to post something that is going to ruffle feathers ([​IMG]), then say that from the get-go, and realize that others are going to disagree. One of the things I like about this board is that it does represent people with lots of different opinions, yet generally everyone still manages to respect each other. That's how we learn new things!

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    [​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Well said! [​IMG]

4. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Indeed. [​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG]
    Yep, totally agree. Thank you for saying this, I hope we all will take your advice! It would be a much nicer board.

6. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and it doesn't come through when I write at times....so let me take this time to say if I've offended anyone in the past I'm sorry...if I do it in the future point it out to me and say 'wake up bozo' or something to that effect [​IMG].....

I'm a firm believer that an "I'm sorry" goes a long way as long as it isn't said a 100 times by the same person.....

Good thread chickbea.....this is a good forum, with lots of good members....we should keep it that way.....

7. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Great advice chickbea, I definitely have noticed the postings increase dramatically since even when I first joined. Last I looked we were approaching 1800 members how wonderful, but I have noticed the post don’t stay around for long anymore which I am not saying is good or bad. I agree with Mr.Dad if by chance I offended anyone in the past I apologize. I also think this is a great forum and obviously many other members agree, the information, the shared interest among us bring us closer together in something we all enjoy BYC’s.

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Mr.Dad - I don't think you've ever offended anyone here. To the contrary, I have greatly enjoyed watching your saga unfold since those first chickens adopted you!
    (I don't recall being offended by you either, Barnyard Dawg [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

9. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Ditto here!

10. Simple Chick

Simple Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Chickbea! I am so excited! Your comment re: sending newbies (like me) to the search button made me think, "Search button?!?! There's a search button?!? NICE!" (Sometimes the obvious eludes me.) I noticed that in other threads some members had referred to previous discussions and were able to link to them and I was in total awe of their keen memory and savy computer skills, and now I know the trick too! (Not that we don't have keen and savy members! [​IMG]) Anyway, so I played with it a little and it is very useful! Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I promise to use it first before I post anymore questions that have been asked a thousand times already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by