1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

think he's dying...:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mstokes, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mstokes

mstokes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    We have a Rhode Island Red Roo that is 18 months old. On Friday, we noticed that he was sounding horse and thought it was odd. He wasn't acting any differently besides having a squeaky crow. Each day he has continued to wheeze while breathing but was otherwise acting normally. Today when we got home from work, he has turned worse. His comb has turned from a bright red to a dark red/blue/purple looking. His wheezing has gotten worse, as in it sounds like he is having a rough time breathing. He was still walking around some but he has probably stopped eating/drinking from the looks of him. We separated him from the rest and gave him some water and medicated feed. Any one else have any ideas on what might be going on or what we can do?? Thanks.

2. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I'm no chicken doctor or anything and have my share of problems. I don't know what is wrong with your chicken but someone posted this link yesterday and it has already been forced down to the third page. There maybe something in there helpful to you though. I hope it helps somewhat.
    http://www.fao-ectad-gaborone.org/en/IMG/pdf/Picture_Book.pdf
    Oh and there are a few graphic pictures so if your squeamish get someone else to look for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by