Think I found her a home.... :( UPDATE: Post 35

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SarahFair, Sep 30, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well after my GSD attacked my goats I put her on craigslist to see if wed we any bites.. which we did but nothing sounded just right for her.
    We were pretty 100% about keeping her until I got an email today that stated this:
    I am a police officer/ K9 handler in the area. The dog u have is high strung because it looks like she has a lot of belgian malinois in her. Does she have a high ball drive? Is she crazy about a toy like fetching and chasing or hunting the toy? If so I would be interested in getting her and training her for police work. Let me know if you think she would be good for that! She would be well cared for! Thank you

In the ad I talked about her high prey drive and gave everyone fair warning about her aggression towards strangers/strange dogs so he already should know all about this.
    Rudi simply is suppose to be a working dog. She loves working more than anything.

We are torn because we love her SO much. She was our first GSD as a couple (my SOs first GSD ever) and has a special place in our hearts. Rudi is very devoted to us and would probly be the only dog we have to lay her life down for us, no questions asked.
    Im crying right now over this... Im such a wimp [​IMG]

To keep her or not to keep her?​

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I say give her a rewarding career and get a dog that can handle your life style.
    I think the police work could make her happy.

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Im just wondering if she really will be put to work because I thought they had to go through an extensive testing program from puppys.
    Rudi was started by an Ex-Cop as to be trained.
    Honestly I was wondering if it was a legit thing or someone just wanting a dog

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I thought they did adopt some from shelters and such.

Maybe set up a meeting and see some ID, get an idea of how serious this is?

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Yep set up a meeting and ask questions. What police department? What type of jobs? What happens if she fails training?

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I'm a natural skeptic and I think it sounds odd. I see no proof that it is from a police officer, and I'm told it's relatively common for people who want to get dogs for attack, hunting or fighting, to pose as police officers to get a dog.

Most officers who work with dogs realize that Belgian Malinois and GSD are separate breeds. They are not variations of each other or different lines of GSD. A Belgian Malinois really looks very little like a GSD. Malinois are slimmer and lighter boned, face, color, and temperament is different.

Additionally, I doubt that police officers seek out their own dogs from ads. The dogs are owned by the police department, not individual officers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I agree it sounds odd. I've heard of adopting bomb dogs from shelters, for police work, but the schutzund working police dogs are generally purchased at a young age from breeders, by the police dept. I thought training needed to start pretty young, too. I would be very careful with my screening (personally, would not adopt to that person) Does your dog look like a mix? It would be very odd for a GSD breeder to add in Mal blood.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:I thought this too. I would be sketchy as well. Tell them they are welcome to come by and to please bring their badge and information to confirm.

9. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I think it sounds very sketchy as well. The grammar is off and it didn't sound very legitimate to me. You should ask his name and which police station he works at then call that police station asking to talk to him.

Good luck. [​IMG]

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    If you want to re-home her, why not try a GSD rescue? They might be able to help you find her an appropriate home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by