Think I have some mixed breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Turtle5600, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Turtle5600

Turtle5600 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Lugoff, South Carolina
    I got some chickens this year to start my first flock since moving into the new house. Second flock of chickens ever. All of the new flock were purchased from my local Tractor Supply Company. I was told the red ones were red rangers. I got 4 straight run and 6 sexed pullets. I ended up loosing one of the pullets on the first day and the straight runs were evenly split with two cockerels and two pullets. One of the roosters and two hens from the straight run birds grew extremely fast and ended up on the butchering block at around 10 weeks. The rest of the red rangers have varying amounts of white feathers and are half the size the solid red birds were. Hopefully they turn out to be decent laying hens. The second set of birds was purchased a week after the first and were a light yellow. Your typical "baby chicken" color. I'm thinking they are either White Rocks, or White Leghorns. Either would be okay, probably would slightly prefer the Rocks to the Leghorn. Here's some pictures, what do y'all think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KuneKune

KuneKune Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    The red pullets could be Red sexlink and the white I'm guessing are whit leghorns If they are flighty and active.

3. Turtle5600

Jul 18, 2013
    Lugoff, South Carolina
    The white ones can fly over the 6' fence if they want to a little bit on the spooky side too. They are only slightly smaller than the red pullets. The red ones are 12 weeks, whites are around 10 weeks.

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't feel that the white ones are Leghorns, as I raise them. White Leghorns have a slim build.
    They look like white rocks-- stockier build.
    How big are their feet? Deep yellow in color?
    The reds look like ISA browns and RSL's.
    They are beautiful!

5. KuneKune

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    The white ones don't have big combs that flop over so they might still be White rock but ten week old leghorns probably don't have big floppy combs yet so its hard to tell till they lay there first egg. :/ sorry I have limited experience!

6. KuneKune

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    I agree with clucker cottage

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think you have white Rocks and red sex links. Agree the white birds are too hefty to be Leghorns (but you don't have to tell them I said that [​IMG]). I've got pics of my Leghorn pullets of the same age on my phone, I'll try to add them here for comparison.

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    9 week old Leghorn pullets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tails are usually very upright, they were feeling stalked and were unhappy lol.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  9. Turtle5600

Jul 18, 2013
    Lugoff, South Carolina
    Here is a full body shot on one of the white ones. They have yellowish legs with pretty good sized feet. Sorry I'm still new to all the breeds, what are ISA and RSLs?
    [​IMG]

And here's a picture of all the red guys. The solid red ones ended up in my freezer. They were getting really big and starting to bully the other ones. I think that's the only picture I have of them.

[​IMG]

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    ISA browns are a variety of red sex link. A red sex link is a hybrid of a red rooster over a silver hen. The females are red/gold with white tips and tails, like your birds. The males are silver/white with red only on the wings. The sex is linked to the color, hence the name. They're high production layers of large brown eggs. They'll basically outlay anything but a white Leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by