Think I made a mistake incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MIKE555444, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I have a still air incubator that I added a fan to. It seemed that this evened out the temps very nicely after adding the fan.

HOWEVER this time when loading the incubator I filled it FULL of eggs blocking the spot directly below the fan. The air could no longer travel through the wire and blow throughout the incubator so it appears this has caused a wide variety of temp inside the incubator. My plan is to candle at 7 days and dispose of infertile eggs freeing up much more space but now I’m thinking I may have messed up and should have just left a few eggs out to allow better circulation of warm air.

I found temps of 99 deg on one side of the incubator and 103 on the other side... Grrrrr

Carefully repositioning the eggs let me clear the space under of the fan last night and the temps have evened out. Hopefully I have not done to much damage to the eggs [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I'm going to guess its not going to be too disastrous. I am surprised the eggs there made that much difference. Now I'm going to have to go do spot checks with loaded racks on my incubator. I would have though the fan was high enough above the eggs to deep everything moving anyway. Was it in any way related to where your vent holes are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by