Think I moved my 1 month olds outside too early, heavy losses

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maryallison, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    They are all bantam breeds and I wanted to move them out with the other peeps that are just 2 weeks older (the other peeps are larger breeds and turkeys) so my flocks were together. Well, now I am wishing I never did it. We have lost 1/2 the flock (about 4 a night) in just a week. I live in Florida so temperature was not a issue. We have had lots of rain this week and I am thinking they are getting damp and not drying well. I now have a heat lamp back on.

Did I move them outside too early? What is the average age to move peeps outdoors? Should I put them back inside the house in a brooder? Or can I completly cover the outside area with a tarp tired to posts (and yes I will angle it so the water runs off)

Thanks, MARY [​IMG]

2. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    On this website, I haven't heard of moving them out before 6 weeks. I think it's because of lung development, chickens are prone to respiratory illnesses. I'm interested in what others have to say, for my own benefit!

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think 6-7 weeks is the ideal age to move them outside. Or once they are fully feathered. But, older birds can be quite aggressive to newcomers.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am not sure why you are loosing them. I have broodies raise chicks in winter and they do fine - no heat from me. So I do not think it is your temps.

Are they being picked on? Trampled? Are they roosting at night with the others or sleeping on the floor? Are you seeing the chicks get wet before night/lock up? Can you section the coop so the bantams are not mixed with the others for a bit?

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am in Florida too. With our highs in the 90's and our lows in the upper 70's, I have moved mine outside in a couple of weeks with no problems.

Are you sure you aren't having other issues - - -

Are the chicks show signs of being sick - - - sneezing, coughing, sluggish movement ? ? ?
    If they are fine at day and at night they die - - - -

2 weeks is very young to be mixed with the older birds. Are the younger ones hiding in corners acting afraid ? ?

6. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    there is no illness in my flock. I am really thinking it could be the young age I moved them or the rain we have everyday.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's probably the rain making and keeping things damp. This time of year I routinely move mine out at less than a week old with no problems.

8. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    WOW! Less than a week old! It really must be my rain. It is actually rainning now. Right before it started I went out with DH's help and put them all back inside. [​IMG] I did loose 1 more now. We are going to completely cover the area with a large tarp so no water gets in.

9. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I heard that you should move the chickens out 6-8 weeks. I moved my chicks outside when they were about 7 weeks old and they are fine!

10. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I heard that you should move the chickens out 6-8 weeks. I moved my chicks outside when they were about 7 weeks old and they are fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by