think I should not have helped hatch this egg.chick in bad shape

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justtoni44, Jul 26, 2010.

1. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Many times I have read that helping an egg hatch could produce a deformed chick.
    I had one that had pipped about 30 hours and was chirping it's head off..could not handle it so helped it out.
    No blood or anything.dry membrane and shell came off easily.. Had huge tummy and very weak so put it back in the inc for 24 hrs.
    It is very active now...also very small.have it in the brooder with the others in a clear plastic dish and a paper towel in the bottom.it can see the others but is protected. It is drinking water well.
    I got a good look at it's feet today..one foot missing a toe...one leg out to the side and the toes going in the wrong direction.turned side ways like a turned in ankle........
    Thinking I did not do it any favors and should have let it go...
    I will post pics later after my son brings his camera...
    Thinking my soft heart was an act of selfishness but still have this bit of hope that maybe
    I can do something to repair it.
    Any feedback experience will be appreciated.even if it is what I would rather not hear.
    I do not want it to suffer.
    Thank You

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I haven't done it myself, but i have read lots of threads here on BYC, in which people were able to fairly easily repair little oddities like that. I would hold out lots of hope, if i were you.

Now is the perfect time to help also.

Consider using a bandaid or a pipe cleaner to reposition the legs.

Consider making a little "shoe" to help the foot point in the right direction.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Your helping didn't cause the deformity. The deformity caused the difficulty in hatching. I've helped a few that were stuck due to my incubation errors, and they've grow up to be perfectly normal. I've also helped some that just weren't meant to be, and after a day or two they either died, or I had to put them out of their misery.

Good luck with the little one. Remember, sometimes the most humane thing to do is to put the little thing out of it's misery. Living with a severe deformity can be a life long battle for a chicken. I've had some that seem like they will adapt as chicks, but as they gain weight their leg issues make it impossible to walk. There's no shame in putting it to rest.

BUT, if it's walking and eating and drinking, and you are committed to being its nurse for the rest of its life, then by all means give it a go. I wouldn't worry about a missing toe, but the sideways leg doesn't sound good.

Good luck! These decisions are never easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by