Think I was lied to..... (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tharrell, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I picked up these two a couple of weeks ago. I was told they were pullets so I hope they got atleast that right. I was also told they were white leghorns. Now maybe it's just my stupidity, but shouldn't they be all white???? They both have brown feathers! Also, they are the same age (don't know what that age is, but it's supposed to be the same) they are the exact same size, but one is feathered out about twice as much as the other. Is this normal? Any ideas on breed, age, and the feather issue would be great!!!

The on with more feathering
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The one with less feathering
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    They are feathering in like my Red Sex Link chicks. But I am no expert, so they could probably be something else.

3. TechyFarmer

TechyFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Salem, OR
    Quote:Dont know what the difference is between the colors red and gold.

But those looks just like my golden sex-links.

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I was thinking sex link (Golden Comets) myself. My week-old chicks have a hit of brown stripe on them. The Leghorns I saw at TSC were totally yellow. [​IMG]

5. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    before they were feathering they had two brownish stripes down their backs if that helps at all [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Definitely not leghorns, not sure what they might be, though.

Also, the one feathering in slower could be a male. A lot of my male chicks feathered much more slowly, especially across the back and shoulders.

7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    When the feathers started coming in our our leghorns, they were all white from the start. So I would say they aren't leghorns.. or they are mixed with something else.

8. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    I agree they look like a sex link... the red sex links we have are great layers and very sweet. There are brown leghorns too I have never seen one so I couldnt tell you there look?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Definitely not brown leghorns either. I have some of those and they were brown from the start with no white at all. Looked like chipmunks when they were babies.

10. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

they look like sex links. they may have white leghorn in them but there definitely not pure breed leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by