Think I was taken...Cochin question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sred98, Jan 12, 2010.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I bought a trio of Cochins off a lady on CL. Black roo and 2 blue hens. The hens have big muffs coming off their cheeks like Ameraucanas do! I haven't seen that before. When I asked her about it, she just said, "Oh yeah, some have them, and some don't." I went ahead and took them, because I was really looking for broodies to hatch out eggs, than perfect chickens, but still...? Do some Cochins have muffs? She has Mille Fleurs, too, so could they be mixed? She said she keeps them separated, but I really don't know. [​IMG] They are bantams, if that makes a difference. One is a lighter blue, one is a more medium blue.

They are very pretty, and the muffs give them the cutest expressions! LOL!

Thanks,

Shelly

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Cochins definitely DO NOT have muffs. [​IMG] Mille Fleur is simply a color pattern, not a breed. [​IMG] What breed of Mille Fleur chickens did this lady have? [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Shelley is right, no muffs on Cochins!

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Maybe you have lovely and extra delightful mille fleur/cochin crosses, you lucky dog. But I don't think I would buy any more chickens from her!

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh sorry! They are D'uccles. Don't they have muffs? Anyway, these do have the rounded bodies, and look "Cochin-ish" except for the girls' muffs.

I was afraid of that. [​IMG] Thanks for the confirmation!

Shelly

7. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Iam not an expert on cochins. But, I have quite a few, and I have never heard of muffs on a cochin before. Maybe the Mille's got into the cochin coop.

8. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I agree...D'Uccle/Cochin crosses. But I bet they're cutie patooties! [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    OMG I want to SEE them! I wonder how you ended up with blues if they have MF in their background. Did she have faverolles by chance? How many toes do they have?

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    There is something mixed in them if they have muffs...I have never seen a cochin with a muff. Mine do not have them either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by