Think I've got a rotten egg 2nd opinions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Channel WHEN, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Channel WHEN

Channel WHEN Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hello! Long time lurker here. Recently had my 1st chicken go broody ( I've only had chickens for 2 years) I candled all the eggs today while mommy was on her "break". I threw out 1 blood ring and 1 clear but then came across this egg and wasn't so sure. I think its a quitter thats gone rotten but don't want to toss anyone out until I'm sure. Any help or advice is appreciated. :)
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I'd mark it and check in a couple of days.

3. Channel WHEN

Nov 25, 2016
    South Carolina
    For a bit more information, I discovered her nest in my garden and then moved her the night of the 17th. I stuck an egg layed that same afternoon by an ee just to try and judge how far along all the other eggs are.[​IMG]
    And here is the egg that seems the farthest along.[​IMG]
    The egg I'm suspicious about in the opening post doesn't have any veins I can see and is still were as in almost all the other eggs I see dancers.( practically had a ballet going earlier :D )
    I will certainly leave it another couple of days and check it.( I know that it's egg #14)
    Here's a picture of mom and dad just cuz. Pretty certain dad is an ee.[​IMG]

4. chickenlady70

chickenlady70 Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    I think you should toss it. If it was fertile to egg would develope veins before even starting the growth of the chick. It must just be a rotten yolk your looking at.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No question about those two eggs.

6. RavenStorm1977

RavenStorm1977 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Toss it. You don't want to contaminate the ones that are developing, and that one is definitely not.

7. Channel WHEN

Nov 25, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the input and advice. I'll check #14 again tomorrow when mom is on break just to double check. I'd really hate to get rid of an egg that had a chance (I want to be really sure!) but definitely don't want to risk all the other eggs as a result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by